Bernalillo Feed and Conoco was started by Alfredo Valdez in 1949 as a fuel distribution enterprise. In 1967, Alfredo’s daughter Georgina and her husband Frank Chavez opened a Purina dealership at this location, and with only a few sacks of a few different kinds of feed and a baby in the crib by a wood burning stove, gradually built a thriving community business. Their daughter Frances began her mercantile career at the age of 9, when she had to stand on empty crates to operate the cash register. Frances and her husband Johnny Garcia bought the business from her parents in 2007 and continue to enjoy and appreciate the rare opportunity to run a family business and serve the needs of friends and neighbors for miles around.
They are looking forward to many years of meeting more neighbors and making more friends!